Laos: when to go there
Period going of November to Mars is convenient for every type of trip and in all the country. It is the dry season with moderated temperatures. Period from April till May is not ideal to visit the South, because of the heat, but do not constitute a big inconvenience for the North. In the period from June till October (rainy season) it is sometimes impossible to circulate because of roads state. But interesting for discoveries trips, especially in 4000 islands.
Parties in Laos
February 2015 : WAT PHOU party Champassak
13/14/15/04/2015 : LAO NEW YEAR party / water festival (Songkran or pii mai)
A May full: rockets party (Bun Bang Fai)
October 2015 : dugouts party
23/24 and 25/11/2015 Pha that luang party in Vientiane
The main points of access to Laos:
- By the airs: airports of Vientiane, Luang Prabang and Paksé (since Bangkok, Udon Thani, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Hanoi and Ho chi min)
- By the road or the train: bridge of the friendship in Vientiane (night train or road since Bangkok), Houey Xai since Chiang Khong,
Passport - Visa
Passport confirms at least 6 months after the date of arrival in Laos.
Obtaining of Visa duration 30 days on arrival (plan a passport photo) Price 30 US $
Money banks, exchange
- The currency is the kip ( LAK)
In 2014. 1 $ amounts to approximately 8 000 kips; and for 1 €, we obtain approximately 9800 kips.
- Bahts and dollars are accepted more or less everywhere in cities as means of payment, euros can be easily converted in kips in Vientiane, Luang Prabang and the other big cities of the country. ATM are present almost everywhere for Visa cards and MasterCard, many of them deliver only at the most 1 million Kips (approximately 125 $), payment cards are generally accepted in Vientiane and Luang Prabang. Banks are generally opened from Monday to Friday from 8:30 am till 3:30 pm.
Exchange rate dollard kips
6 am ago of gap early with regard to Paris in winter time and 5 hours in summer time.
The current is 220 volts and the grips are of French or American types (plan an adapter) and a headlamp or a flashlight for the accommodation in back rural zones.
Official language of the country is lao. The use of French is little spread. The English is more used except in the rural regions and the moved back villages.
- Of France towards Laos: 00 + 856 + area code(theme tune) of the city (2-digit, without 0) + number of the 6-digit correspondent. Free calls towards the basic salaries with Free
- Call(appeal) towards a mobile phone to Laos 00 + 856 + 020 (without 0) + 8-digit number.
- Of Laos towards France: 00 + 33 + number of the 9-digit correspondent (without 0).
The network covers all the cities of the country today and affects the main part of countrysides
Possibility of buying a Local SIM card in the numerous shops of Vientiane or Luang Prabang (guaranteed economy). The least expensive two options for the international calls: Skype or Viber with Internet
In cities and places of interest, the access via free WiFi is very frequent in hotels and guesthouses and bars. Internet coffees are many still not enough.
Laos is a safe country The journeys take place in perfectly quiet regions.
No vaccine is required however it is recommended to be up to date common vaccines and to ask advice to your doctor and to make a dental balance assessment before departure
Some valuable ideas in Laos:
A standard room costs approximately 30 $,
A comfortable room costs between 35 and 45 $,
A luxury room costs between 60 and 90 $
A meal in a local restaurant approximately 5 $,
A meal of international cuisine 10 $
The entrances(entries) of sites cost between 1 and 2 $,
The routes by boat cost between 5 and 20 $ per person
Some words to speak in Lao
Hello, good morning: Sa Bai Dee
Bye bye: La Kon
Thanks (a lot): Khop Chai (lai lai)
How much: Tao dai
To eat: Kin Khao
To drink: dum nam